Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Disneyland: Day 2

Day 2 at Disneyland was a great one. It was more wet and rainy but it wasn't very cold so we still had a fun time.
 
 I am starting with this picture just because I think it's funny. These two cute sisters saw Olive in her princess dress and asked if they could take a picture with Olive. I don't think Olive really understood what was happening but in typical Olive style of assuming everyone is her friend and that all people would want a picture of her, she jumped right in and posed with them. Scott and I couldn't stop laughing. Olive literally made friends in every line and every place we went. Most of the time she refused to stand in line with us and instead wanted to stand and talk to whomever was around. She just assumes that the whole world is her friend. In multiple lines she was actually sad to leave the line to go on the ride because that meant she also had to leave whomever she had just made friends with. Oh Olive, how I love you! I was not that child at all. I was quite shy and more timid and so it is sometimes so shocking to me how at ease she is. It's a gift. 

So anyway, on to the rides. This day was full of rides!
Toad's Wild Ride

Dumbo!

I have memories of going on Dumbo and I know it was my favorite when I was almost the same age as Olive. It was fun to take my own little girl on it. It was a big hit with her and she was even cheering and telling me "Put your arms up mom! Woohoo!"


Peter Pan was Scott's favorite as a kid. 


Half way through the day Olive got a baby Rapunzel doll. It had caught her eye the day before at the dress store and she wouldn't stop talking about it. We had told her that she only got to pick out ONE toy and that was all. We wanted her to wait until the last day so that she wouldn't ask for everything that she saw. We thought that if she had already picked something out too early then she would just be disappointed every time we had to tell her "You already picked out your toy". Olive promised us that this was the only thing that she wanted and that she wouldn't ask for anything else or be disappointed. This was her toy and her mind was set. Turns out she was right. She knew right where it was at the store. She carried it with her for the rest of the trip and was so happy and satisfied with it. She didn't ask for any other toys. I guess when she makes up her mind she know what she likes! 
Jungle Cruise

These two boys kept cracking us up in line for the jungle cruise because they would shove their faces into the nets. But at least they were entertained right?
Scott's all time favorite ride and my all time least favorite ride is Splash Mountain. I actually like the ride but I HATE being wet and especially in clothes when it is cold. So he went on with his brother. Scott is trying to show off his U State shirt. That's real fan dedication. 

The carousel

Milo didn't love waiting in lines. In fact we would almost always have to bring candy to try and keep him in our arms. Otherwise he would wander off ahead and join other people in line. He would also want to climb on all the railings and everything around us while we were waiting. Fortunately, a few of the lines it didn't matter. That is when he was happiest. 


Or when he was climbing into the Dumbo prop. He played on that thing forever. 

Towards the end of the day it started to get pretty raining and wet but we decided to wait it out and see the parade from a good vantage point. I'm so glad we did because both kids loved it. Olive "oohed" and "awhhed" at everything that went by. 


We thought these toy soldiers were so cool. 


This was Olive's face for most of the parade. I think it's a mix of awe and wonder. She loved every minute of it! (Notice baby Rapunzel dangling at her side?)

There's Mickey!! We are pretty sure that he waved right at Olive because she was up on Scott's shoulders it looked like he saw her. 

The princess float was pretty impressive up close. Olive liked that they all had their princes' with them. Even the Beast was there!



She eventually got down and waved at the people in the parade. One of these reindeer even gave her a high five. 
The funniest part of the parade was that since it was a Christmas parade it ended with Santa Claus. We as a family don't do Santa on Christmas. We know he is just pretend. Anyway, Olive saw Santa riding on the float and yelled "See! I knew IT!!" Then she turns to us and looking directly and intently at us says "I knew it you guys! I knew he was real!" So I guess the moral of the story is that whatever you do, either way, you are lying to your child. Scott and I just busted up laughing. It was such a funny situation. All our conscientiousness and carefulness undone in one moment. 

After dinner we waited around to watch the fireworks. It was such a good show. It was all Christmas themed and lots of Christmas songs. We ate yummy candy and enjoyed the show. The only problem was that since it was a cloudy, rainy day some of the fireworks were kinda behind the clouds. But it ended with the song White Christmas and suddenly it started snowing all down Main Street. Olive gasped with excitement. It really was magical. 
And this is just another funny picture. When we went back to the hotel we found these toys that Olive had brought to play with all lined up on her bed. The maid left them that way when she cleaned our room and we thought it was so hilarious. 

1 comment:

Rachel said...

What a fun trip to take with little kids! And I didn't know you guys don't do Santa - we don't either. I hear myself saying "but he's just pretend" about 10 times a day. It's like he knows deep down that Santa is just a story, but it's just too tempting to believe! Oh well. :)

 
UA-18211205-1