Thursday, November 4, 2010

My love of concerts and what has changed

This week we got the rare opportunity to hang out with adults at a concert of one of our favorite musicians Sufjan Stevens.


As you can see they had a huge band. It was kinda unlike any concert I've ever been too, possibly because they were all dancing around like crazy people during one song that lasted 30+ minutes.


It was great to go out with Scott. It was also fun to see our friends and just be grown ups for a little while.

Going to this concert made me think of the possibly one hundred (surprised? but its true) of concerts that I have gone to. My very first concert was ten years ago almost exactly. I was laughing to myself at how different this concert was and how much I have changed. Here is a quick list of the most stark contrasts:
1. I used to go to a concert, or "show" as we would call it, about once a week. Now it is once a year, if we are lucky.
2. I would go to a show have a blast and that was just the beginning of the night. This concert started at 8 pm and I was tired.
3. It used to be the louder the better but this time my ears were definitely blown out at by the end of the night.
4. My friends and I would jump around and go crazy at concerts. Now I was so thankful there were seats and that everyone basically sat for most of the concert. I was grumpy when the people would not sit down.
5. How much my music tastes have changed. I would have never listened to Sufjan in high school. Now when I hear my high school music, it is kinda nostalgic but I question how I loved it so much (not all of it but some)
6. We used to go and hope to meet cute boys. This time I got to enjoy an awesome night with my best friend.
It's weird how you don't realize that you are growing up until you have a reason to look at the way "things use to be". I always think of myself as that same high school or college girl, but when it comes down to it I'm not. And I am ok with that.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

This could describe me almost exactly! A funny thing I've noticed is the older I get, the less tolerance I have for big venues (seated theater halls aside). In high school it was all 'E' Center and full-day concerts at the fairgrounds, but now I much prefer Kilby Court-sized shows.

Stef said...

Seriously, the music that was popular when we were in high school is total crap. I'm so glad we've moved forward into a better music scene (besides the R&B and hip-hop shit). How much we change in 10 years! Even 5 years. Remember the Pineview days with Yellowcard and the Ataris? Good times.

 
UA-18211205-1