We signed Olive up this spring to play soccer for the first time. One of her friends, Bo, from preschool, told us that they were signing up and wondered if we would like to sign up with them. Olive was really nervous to play. A few days before her first game she said to me "I don't know the first thing about soccer!" That girl cracks me up. Anyway, we explained to her that by joining this team you get to learn how to play and that her coach will teach her what to do. That kinda eased her worries until we were walking to the field for her game. She was holding my hand and looked up at me to say,"I'm still nervous". When we got to the field all the kids were running around with balls and no one told her what to do. She just stood in the middle of the field looking so scared. She looked over at us sitting on the side lines and burst into tears. She ran over to us and jumped in Scott's lap. It kinda broke my heart. I remember that feeling of not knowing anyone and not knowing what to do. Fortunately, her coach, who is a really nice guy, brought her a ball and asked if she wanted to come out and kick the ball with them. She perked up after that and hasn't looked back since.
Here is her team practicing before a game. I will say that Olive loves her uniform but was shocked when they weren't a "pink" team. I told her, I don't think any of the teams are pink.
We are really proud of Olive. She has practiced with Scott a little bit but has gained a lot of confidence in playing. She goes after the ball and will even get in the big group of kids. She has gotten better at kicking the ball down the field and almost scored a goal at her last game. She is having a lot of fun. Of course her favorite part is talking to her other friends on her team. Bo hasn't loved soccer as much as Olive, so she has met some other girls. They often are chatting on the field instead of following the action.
Look at our cute soccer star! She likes "taking breaks" during the game and comes over acting so exhausted. It's kinda funny how dramatic she is about it all. I feel like I've seen her confidence grow so much by playing this year. She is pretty proud of herself too!




No comments:
Post a Comment