These things have been on my mind lately so I thought I would just share a little bit. Last year I started our "Family Binder". This binder has our family motto, theme, rules, and monthly traditions written down. We will have a family scripture also but I just haven't chosen one yet. Since we are studying the Book of Mormon in Sunday school this year, our family scripture will be something from that. Any great ideas for me? The Book of Mormon will also be the focus of our family home evening lessons. We have a goal to learn all of the versuses from Book of Mormon Stories song.
Did you know we have a family motto? It is: Pattersons are Nice. Simple but to the point. Do you have a family motto? If so I am very curious about what other families do.
Anyway, our Family Binder also has all of our goals written down in it. Since I shared Olive's goals for this year I thought I would share some of mine too. We each make individual goals and then a few family goals.
My 2011 goals were:
-learn to knit cables
-read a novel a month
-submit a photo to the State Fair
-have consistent girls nights
-have a baby
So let's review, in complete honestly I didn't actually achieve one single goal I set last year. Well that's not totally true. I did make one of those goals and I will give you three guesses at which one.
At first I was a bit depressed about this. I mean, none of those goals are that demanding. But, after thinking about it for awhile I came to the conclusion that I was a bit insane when setting such goals. I mean, what was I thinking? I was either very pregnant for the beginning of the year, had a challenging newborn, adjusting to two kids, or it was the holidays. That is all a total cop out but I am still using it. Let's be honest...read a book a month? I have been sleep deprived for the last year. If I sit down to read anything I fall instantly to sleep. Sadly, this was the first year since we have been married that we missed the State Fair. And girls night? Yeah, that didn't happen. In truth I really could have learned to knit cables. I could have. For some reason going the a class just didn't work out for timing.
Okay, so on the positive side I did read lots of birthing books last year. And I did lots of practice relaxation to prepare for labor. I did achieve my goal of an unmedicated labor and delivery. I was also pretty consistent about blogging. And since I did a lot of sitting on my butt watching tv either out of exhaustion or feeding my baby, even though I didn't spend it reading, I did knit over 20 items in the past year. Now that is pretty impressive right? Even though none of those things had cables on them. I'm counting those things as success.
This year I set these goals (basically I'm just copying last year):
- knit cables
-knit new Christmas stockings for the family
-submit a photo to the State Fair
-read a book a month
-read the Sunday school lessons every week
-have girls nights
I think those are pretty doable goals. We shall definitely see. Part of our problem last year was that we set these goals and then were horrible about following up with them. So this year we need to be more consistent on checking in on our goals. I have had a pretty good start at putting some of these goals into action. So, here we go!
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love your family motto. We don't have one, but Dan and I have conversations every so often about what we want our kids to be when they grow up. It always comes back to one thing - we hope they are nice people.
Good luck with your 2012 goals!
Obermarks don't give up. (Chad and I have our own motto that we adopted our first year - Slow and Steady wins the race) if you think about it, they're pretty much the same idea.
Post a Comment