Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Years Resolutions

I typically don't set any New Years resolutions. One reason is that I kinda like the flexibility of making changes at any time during the year. I feel like life with a 2 year old is always changing, theirs needs vary and I like to come up with a new schedule or try something out as I need to. I also learn new things or get good ideas from friends all the time. I think it is important to feel like I can try those things out anytime. One of my biggest life changes was after watching a food documentary. It changed everything I thought about food as well as some life decisions. The very next day I started a whole new way of living and I am glad that I did. I think because I made immediate changes they have actually stuck. I don't like feeling like I am not accomplishing or going against my goals if I change my mind. (I don't know if that makes any sense!)

The second reason is that I have noticed over the years as I see or talk to other people about their resolutions that it can get kinda, umm... intense. It seems like no one ever chooses one or two reasonable goals/changes that they can realistically achieve. Resolutions are a huge list of everything that you are doing bad or even good and then wanting perfection in all aspects. I agree that there is always room for improvement and growth but often when I find out other people's resolutions I think "That is so much! It will be too overwhelming!" Then I get overwhelmed about all the things I could work on and how amazing everyone else is for being setting so many impressive goals.

But this year I have decided that there are a few things I want to be doing. You might look at my resolutions and think I am a lightweight (especially knowing some of your plans for this year). I genuinely want to achieve these goals so I am keeping it simple.

1. Have Family Home Evening more regularly.
I recently made a book of FHE lessons including scriptures and themed monthly ideas so I figure I really don't have any excuse. I am not saying that I want a well planned and perfectly coordinated lesson every week. I just want to be more regular about having planned family time together, sometimes including lessons.

2. I want to be better about my own scripture studying.
I have always struggled with this. There are tons of ideas out there about how to set this goal, like a chapter a day, or 10 pages or a time period. I think what would work best for me is a set amount of time. But I haven't decided when in the schedule works best or how to measure my time, whether daily or weekly. I am also hoping to convince Scott to do this with me because it is more likely to happen.

3. Finish Les Miserables (unabridged)
I have actually loved reading this book. I am about half way through it and since October I have been a little burned out about reading it. Especially because being pregnant I can't read anything for an extended period of time. I just fall right to sleep. I have to read magazines or something short. Also, I have been reading natural labor books instead of novels. That being said, I have invested so much time and effort into reading (some of the chapters especially) from Les Miz that I am determined to finish. It would be awesome to finish by summer because the play is coming here in June. That would be a perfect reward. But, I will basically be pregnant until then so I am not holding myself to that.

There you have it, my rather sissy attempts at resolutions.

Here are a list of a few other things I plan to do this year (in no order):
Potty train Olive
read a book a month/ possibly join a book club
start some kind of knitting or craft night
have a natural labor and delivery
bring a healthy baby boy to our family
adjust to having 2 kids (I am not expecting this one to be easy!)
Go on vacation with just our little family

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow, we pretty much have the same resolutions! (Minus the Les Mis) I'm never good with 12 month goals - I usually focus on doing something for 1 or 2 months, and just hope it sticks after that. I also don't start them all at the same time - it's too overwhelming!

 
UA-18211205-1