
I think it is just so adorably cute. I must say I was very very nervous for this transition. Olive has been a complete crib sleeper from the beginning. She would rarely sleep in our arms even as an infant. I knew she was very attached to her crib. It makes sense though, the high bars must bring a real sense of safety. But, with Milo coming I didn't want her to think he kicked her out of her beloved crib. So I set out to make her bed as enticing as possible.

I was kinda dreading her first night sleeping there. I have heard tons of stories about fits and tantrums and screaming for hours. I was prepared for a battle. That night Olive helped me get her bed all ready and made up. I kept telling her how cool this bed was and trying to point out all the special things we were doing to it.

It had her nice pillow, and her Kiki, and her monkey. It was going to be delightful. She was not fooled. Scott was working that night so we called and left him a good night message. It was hilarious. She was crying hysterically as she told him "Good night daddy. I'm (sob sob) going (sob) to sweep in my (sob) big girl bed (sob sob sob)."
I was seriously trying not to laugh. It is the funniest voicemail ever. Then I tucked her in and kissed her goodnight and left. She came racing out of her room bawling. So I took her back and tucked her in again. I told her a story about a Princess named Olive who was growing up and got to sleep in a big girl bed. We agreed that I would leave the closet light on and leave the door open. Then I left. She came running out to the kitchen again where I told her "Olive, it's bed time, you need to go lay down in your bed."

To my utter shock and amazement she did. She laid down and stayed in her bed. It took her awhile to fall asleep but, that was it. She now does it every time without a fight. Sometimes I feel like she has a maturity that is astounding. That may be silly for a 2 year old, but she deals with stressful situations quite well. I was so so proud of her.

Now she likes her bed a little more. She will still occasionally ask at bed time to "sleep in Milo's bed?" In the mornings and after nap she doesn't get out of bed until I go get her. It is still kinda shocking to me to see her sleeping in there like such a big girl. I guess she is just growing up!
2 comments:
Wow, it really does make her look older to have her out of the crib. I remember the shock of that when we did the same with Audrey. It's such a big accomplishment for both you and her, and yet I felt so much sadness that my baby girl was growing up. Of course it was fun to get the crib ready for the next baby, but that is such a big step to take as a family. Well done Olive! (And Mom and Dad too!)
Aw, that is always kind of a sad transition. Her bed looks super cute though!!
Post a Comment