I have never made bread from scratch in my entire life. I think for a lot of my childhood I didn't think you should make it at home. I heard all these horror stories of round, crumbling, wheat bread that my mom took to school lunch. It sounded horrible. When I got to college I tried my roommates homemade bread with homemade jam and it was the most delicious thing in the world. Ever since then it has been on my list of things to learn how to do.

I will say it was quite a process to figure out. I am glad that I had the warning from my mother-in-law to not give up after my first loaf turns out like a brick, because that is exactly what happened. It was a rock hard, tiny, brick of flour. After getting lots of tips and advice I kept trying different variations to get the recipe right. It only took about 12 loafs (seriously!). I was forced to keep trying because I intentionally didn't buy any bread at the store so it was our only option. We (Scott helped me a lot) were determined to make this work! I am happy so say....
I did it.
I made a very yummy whole wheat bread from scratch. And I did it more than once! I also am getting quite good at white bread. I am going to make a loaf on Saturday so we can have totally from scratch french toast for Sunday morning. I am actually quite excited about that.
My plan is that I will make a loaf (or 2) weekly. I just love that when I'm eating a slice I know exactly what was used to make it. There is something very cozy about that. Plus my house gets to smell like homemade bread!
Now we need a bread slicer so we can get better slices, but that is on its way. I almost can't tell you how happy I am to share this because it has literally been hours of work and baking. So there you have it nothing very special but, I can make bread!
P.S. I am also excited to try out all the fancy recipes like cinnamon swirl bread. Doesn't that sound delicious? I have a whole book or recipes to try out.
2 comments:
Good job! It looks beautiful. There really is nothing better than homemade bread right out of the oven. I might have to get that whole wheat recipe from you - I'm not crazy about the one I usually make.
Oh man! I am so proud! I took on the challenge last year. I swear by the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day book.
Now we have homemade bread almost every day. People think I'm this crazy amazing baker, but truth is I suck! I can make bread and chocolate cookies that's it. Don't ask me to make a cake if you want it edible!
Post a Comment