Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I have fallen in love with my yard....again

I have already said this but when we were looking at this house we came into the back yard and fell in love. We stayed back there for like an hour, even while other people came to walk through. It was kinda awkward but we already felt ownership of this yard.
Now that it is spring/ summer we have fallen in love again but with all new things.

I have loved loved loved having a yard for the first time ever. The reasons that I love it are many. One thing that I didn't expect was how everything was going to be a big surprise. We thought what we saw last year was going to be it, and we were happy with that. Happily, we keep getting things blooming and every day feels like a new discovery. I am loving it!

When we looked at our house it was early fall and our yard looked very different. The spring was very exciting to see the big blooms and the awesome colors.

These tulips were a welcome surprise.

When we first saw our yard my immediate reaction was that this ivy was going to be GONE in the spring. But as it got warmer it started blooming and Scott convinced me that we should keep it.

I'm glad we did because the flowers make a big difference from just boring, annoying, grow-everywhere ivy. Don't get me wrong, I actually love ivy that grows on houses and fences. But just in the yard it has a tendency to take over. And maybe you can tell that it isn't the pretty leafed climbing ivy. Anyway, the point is, I'm actually glad we kept it because it looks nice when it is not out of control.

I thought this bush was a big weed bush or something because of its rather odd placement. But then it bloomed these huge, fragrant flowers.

They started like this and I fell in love.

Now they look like this. Being a complete garden novice I have no idea what kind of flower they are, I just know that I am happy to have them.

I also thought this tree was rather annoying. Everything was just SO overgrown and out of control. We trimmed it back and now it has bloomed and it isn't so annoying any more.

I love how the blooms are in little clusters. So pretty right?

I was kinda late in catching these blooms so they look a bit shabby now, but they smell great.

I think that the combination of the blooms and aroma go together perfectly.

This was another surprise. I know what your thinking, this is just a shrub right? Well for months and months this was just a plain old green shrub in a crappy location. Then in the spring it became this beautiful varriegated leaf bush.

I thought that it was dying because it turned all yellow. I swear I didn't enhance the color on that photo. It is so bright and cheery.

Probably the best surprise is our little friend Robin. He always visits when I am gardening and comes surprisingly close. Olive loves him too.

4 comments:

Qwendykay said...

Those flowers are beautiful! What a surprising backyard.

Wanderingfamilies said...

Beautiful! The big flowers are peonies! In the spring cut them WAY down and they will bloom beautifully again and again...

Crawford Family said...

So gorgeous! We have a HUGE yard but the mebassy pays a gardner to take care of it so I never get to touch anything. I asked the gardner if I could help and he just looked at me like I was crazy. Apparently there are liabilities letting us handling the HUGE industrial sized lawnmowers etc. ha! I will have to live vicariously through you!

Patty Girl said...

Thanks for the advice on the peonies! I am excited to have them bloom again because they are already dropping their petals. What would I do without you Chamaine?!

 
UA-18211205-1