Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Crazy Day

Today Olive locked herself in the house.
Our house is quite easy to get locked out of so I am always very careful to not leave any doors locked if I am going outside. I almost always unlock the door and also leave it open for safe measure. So that is what I did as I was throwing something away this morning. I unlocked the door and left it open while I went to the garbage can. Olive was right behind me and while I was walking back to the house she closed the door and somehow turned the lock. No worries because we have a set or spare keys that we left in the back yard.

Today I discovered that the spare keys in the back yard do not work.
This is when I start freaking out. Not totally, but my heart was racing and I was thinking "What do I do?" My phone was in the house and I don't have the first clue about how to break in through a window. Little Olive was sitting on the landing crying her eyes out and yelling "MAMA!" Ugh!

I tried to get her to come over and play with the door handle again in the hopes that she might accidentally twist it unlocked. She was too upset.

Then I realized that the old lady that lived here kept an old phone in the garage. I knew my sister in law has a spare key but I don't know anyone's phone numbers without my cell phone. The only number I know is Scott's. So I try to dial him in a near panic. The garage phone is a roto dial phone (I think that's what they're called)...do you know what I am talking about.....those old ones where you have to twist the number all the way around. I called three wrong numbers in the course of getting ahold of Scott because I would put my finger in the wrong number hole. Ugh!

Finally I got him to answer after getting his voicemail fifty times and he called his sister. It was all solved in about 5 minutes but it seemed like a century. Olive calmed down and kept pulling at the door and telling me it was stuck.
I made Scott promise that he will get new spare keys made on his way home from work today so this doesn't happen again.

Today feels like a very crazy day.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

Being locked out of the house when your kids are inside is not good. Maxwell locked himself in the house about a year ago. Lucky for me was a little older and thought it was a game and unlocked the door. Hope it nevers happens again.

Mary said...

Oh yikes, I would be freaking out, too.

lynda said...

that is awful so glad that everything turned out okay.

krissy o said...

whew - i am glad that had a happy ending! how scary!

Crawford Family said...

That is so terrifying. It is crazy how fast that adrenaline kicks in and how your blood pressure skyrockets. It sounds like something from a motherhood horror film with the rotary phone and all. I am glad it was over fast!

 
UA-18211205-1