We saw that there was a Surf Academy that you could sign up for through the hotel. As we were standing in line to see the pandas at the zoo we were asking all the older girls if they would want to do that. Then some of the dads said they thought that it would be fun to go with their girls and learn how to surf. I mean, once in a life time chance right? So Scott decided that he wanted to go with Taylor and the girls. As we were walking I was saying to Scott how someday, when our kids are older, it will be so cool when we can all go as a family and learn how to surf. That will be so cool. I was just thinking about the future you know, of having older kids that can do cool things like this. That's when Christine asked me if I wanted to go with everyone. I was like, "Yeah for sure but how will we do that with our little ones?" That's when Christine and Becca were like "We will watch them no problem!" That is actually the shortened version of the story, but now you know how we got so lucky to have such cool family that will watch our kids so we could go to surfing academy together. And boy was it worth it. I would say that this day was definitely a high light of the trip for me. 

When we got up and to the dock it was cold and over cast and I was sure that this was going to be freezing and thus miserable. Here we are wrapped up in blankets riding the water taxi over to the Mission Beach Aquatics Center.
After a quick lesson about the water and tides and ocean life that we might encounter we headed out to get suited up. Turns out, we did see dolphins and a seal swam past us about 20 feet away so their lesson was quite handy.
Suited up and ready to go!
The worst part of the whole thing was doing the swim test right off the dock. It was so cold that it took your breath away when you jumped in which made it hard to swim after that. But we all passed.
Oh yeah! We were so excited.
Hang ten!!
After a little bit of instruction we all headed out. Everyone had a great time. My goal was to stand up once and I did. Once. But thankfully my one and only time I got to my feet happened to be documented. Luckily everyone who wasn't surfing found us so they all got to watch us surf. Olive loved playing in the sand with the kids, I don't think she noticed us out in the water. The big girls all did amazingly well and stood up multiple times. It is harder than I thought but in some ways easier. I wished that we had one more hour or another day to do it because I think we would have really gotten it down. Scott did awesome and got standing lots of times. It was really easy to catch the wave and get up on my knees, but popping up to standing was another story. Such a fun day!! We carried or boards back and my arm was dying by the time we reached to dock but it was so worth it. I think in another life I could have been a surfer.





No comments:
Post a Comment