Let me start at the beginning.
After I went past my due date, my midwife and I agreed that we were going to just wait for my body to go into labor on its own as long as everything looked healthy with me and the baby. The biggest concern about going past your due date is the possiblity of your placenta not functioning properly. So, on Friday May 13 they had me go in for a stress test.
Meanwhile all week we had been doing everything possible to get labor started. We were going on multiple walks a day. Poor Olive would got tired of walks.
At my stress test they monitored his heart beat for 20 minutes. He looked strong and healthy. They were impressed with how much movement he had. I was not surprised because I 've been feeling it for the last 4 months. They also monitored me to see if I was having any contractions. The line was completely flat for 20 minutes. Not one contraction.
They also measured my amnitoic fluid. They want the measurement to come out at a 10 or higher. With a 5 or lower they must take you straight to labor and delivery. I measured at a 6. So they tried it again. Still got a 6. That means, this boy must be born soon.
Right after my test I saw my midwife. We agreed that we couldn't wait any longer and would have to be induced the next morning. I was devistated. I sobbed on the way home. I felt like I had worked and waited for so long and now it was out of my hands. I felt like I was giving up on what I wanted. I was scared to be induced.
So I walked and walked. We did everything, seriously everything, we knew to do to get labor going that night on our own. I was ready to try castor oil, ANYTHING to go into labor that night. (Scott said no to the castor oil though. He didn't want me to be sick all labor if it did work.) But to no avail. So we went to bed and prepared to go to the hospital the next morning.
I woke up and called in. They wanted us there in a half hour. It takes a half hour to get to our hospital. So we rushed like crazy, got Olive up and dressed. Dropped her off and went to the hospital. I was a little down trodden as we drove there. But, Scott kept telling me "Milo is coming today. No matter what he will be here today!" That was exciting and lifted my spirits. But, how was he going to get here?After we checked in and did all the paper work they hooked me up to the monitors. Milo was strong and healthy just like before. This time though, the nurse asked "Did you feel that contraction? You just had a contraction" I hadn't felt anything. I was just praying that they really were starting.
When my midwife arrived she checked me. I was dialted to 2-3 and 80% effaced. Same as the day before. We agreed that we would break my water to induce and see how things went from there. I really didn't want my water broken because I knew it brings on more intense contractions faster. I wanted to labor with my water intact but that wasn't going to happen.
So, she broke my water. But no water came out. So she broke it again. Nothing. What a mystery. Maybe his head was plugging the water. Maybe the hook wasn't strong enough. So we tried another pokey thing to break it. No water. My midwife was so perplexed.
We decided to start walking to see if contractions would start on their own. I almost jumped for joy because after about 2 minutes of walking they started to come pretty regularly. After about 15 minutes of walking I couldn't walk "through" them any more. They needed all my attention. I wanted to go back to the room. I was going into labor! All on my own. I could have cried but I was too focused on the contractions.
Once in the room they wanted to put the monitors on again. I had to lay in the bed, they said only for 20 minutes but they lied. It was agonizing to just lay there. I couldn't relax. Every minute slowly ticked by. 20 minutes came and went. I couldn't do this anymore. I had Scott go find the nurse and I got up on the ball. That helped. Scott would push on my back and that helped. I was really having to focus now. Each surge was stronger and stronger. I had to figure something out because this wasn't working. I couldn't stay on top of the contractions. They were overwhelming me.
Luckily my midwife suggested I get in the tub. I was now at 5 cm. Half way there, except I still had 5 more cm to go. That felt daunting.
She ran the water. Oh, the tub. It was amazing. The hot water was so soothing. The jets helped my back. I could just float and focus on the contractions. It was wonderful. I closed my eyes and breathed through each contraction. I couldn't do the hypno breathing. I just had to do what worked for me. I would have stayed in that tub the entire time.
But no. They wanted me back on the monitors so I had to get out of my beloved tub. They checked me again and I was an 8! Yay! Now I was sitting in the bed. The contractions were very regular, although they didn't last a very long time. Scott said 30 seconds. I was aware but unaware of everything that was happening. I kept asking, "How much longer?" I can't do this!
After a few minutes they started getting out the delivery carts. Scott said, "Look they are getting things ready. It can't be long now." How much longer? I can't do this! I felt like I had to moan though the contractions. I was trying to breath the baby down but mostly I felt like I was just groaning. I kept telling myself, "Relax, relax" so that he could move down but it was had to relax. At every contraction Scott would push on my knees. That helped. He kept reassuring me "You can do this. You are almost done! Milo is going to be here!" My midwife kept telling me I was doing a great job. It's almost over.
Then, I felt like I was going to pee. My midwife said, "That's a good sign. He is moving lower. If you pee you pee." But I couldn't just pee everywhere. So they let me get up to go to the bathroom. My midwife said "DO NOT push while you are in there!" But a contraction came and I had to moan with it. She rushed in and said "Back to the bed!" We went back to the bed and my midwife said "With your next contraction you are going to push!"
I am not sure how long I pushed. Scott said about 10 minutes. I was in my own world. I couldn't think about anything else. And I was pushing. Pushing made the contractions better. And then he was out and it was over. Milo was born at 2:42 after starting labor around 11am.
He came out screaming with arms and legs splayed. He was here.
So, it was an incredible experience. It almost seems surreal now. Even the moment he came out it seemed surreal that it had all happened. I feel so blessed and watched over that it worked out the way we wanted against the odds.And here is what we learned-
-We think my water must have broken on it's own on Friday while in the shower or something because no water ever came out.
-Contractions are not what I expected them to be. They were more intense, but not my whole stomach tightening like I thought.
-The "post" sewing and such was worse than labor. That sucked.
-Scott is amazing. He was so supportive and helpful. I felt so loved and empowered with him by my side. We made a pretty good team. He was just wonderful!
-Although it all seems like a blur, I do remember how I felt. I felt happy, content, and in high spirits. Scott said I even smiled and joked inbetween contractions. He said I was calm and in control. I felt that way.
-I didn't have that uncontrolable pushing where your body takes over. It was burning and firey but it only lasted a few minutes. I also didn't have that huge rush or surge of emotions. I felt peaceful.
-Anyone really can do this.


5 comments:
Wow, what a story! I love to hear how God knows our hearts and that you went into labor on your own. So happy for you and your family. Milo is to cute!
I'm so happy you were able to have the natural labor you wanted! He is so beautiful and I can't wait to see him in person. ♥
Way to go, Maren! I knew you could do it!
I am JUMPING for joy for you! I KNEW you could do it! I want to try the tub...I think that will be heavenly...we'll see! That is great...you were certainly watched over. Your family picture is priceless, too!
I know I'm days late on commenting but, Maren, I am so happy for you! It worked out just perfectly against all odds. And he is just gorgeous. When I texted you on Friday the 13th about the park I had no idea everything you were going through! I'm so so happy that it all ended so well.
Post a Comment