I have been really sporadic in what I have been reading this month. Truthfully, I have been reading magazines because, well I love Entertainment Weekly, and I can read something fast before the 2 minutes before I fall asleep these days (mind you that only works in the afternoons and not at night, why can't I sleep at night?!).
Mostly I have been reading nursing books, baby books, re-reading Babywise, going over my Hypnobirthing books and just trying to refresh myself for what is coming.
Along with that I am about half way through reading In Defense of Food. I have really liked reading through this book. Although I was familiar with a lot of the topics in the book from my own research this past year, it is always nice to read about what he has to say. I really like Micheal Polland and his stand on most (food) issues.
What I've found so interesting in reading about food, and parenting, is that we have to read about food and parenting. 200 years ago, food was food and parenting was whatever you felt comfortable with doing. Don't get me wrong, I think there is so much value in being educated and prepared. I think that you will be a better parent for doing your research. That is why I read about it.
But, it kinda cracks me up. There didn't used to be parenting theories or philosophies or programs to follow. You weren't a better parent if you followed one or the other. Attachment parents weren't in defense or against structured parents. You did what was natural and comfortable for you and your family.
I think that is why there are so many philosophies out there. There are so many different personalities and types of people, that you can find the style and theory that fits you personally. You can find the research that fits what you are comfortable with. I don't necessarily subscribe to one theory, I think there is value in lots of things. I like to take what makes sense, feels logical and reliable to me and blend those things into a parenting style. My guess is that most of us do. I do feel like there are some crucial points that I want to make sure I have covered as a parent and there are some theories that speak to me way more than others.
1) Sleep. I will do what ever it takes to get my kid to be a good sleeper
2) Nutrition I want to be healthy and I want my kids to be healthy
3) Sanity For me that means having lots of routines, schedules and activities to keep us busy
I don't know, it's not really commentary. There are so many more things out there that I believe in, but I don't want to go crazy with a list (although, I do love lists). I have just found it interesting as I have been going through various books this month. So do with it what you will.
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment