A few nights ago I finished reading my "February" book in my goal to read a book a month. I decided to reread To Kill A Mockingbird. It is one of my favorite books but I had only read it once in high school. I remember absolutely loving it but after learning that it was my father-in-law's all time favorite book (and he is very well read) I thought it might be time to revisit it.
I like rereading books, well some books I should say. It was really interesting to me the things I remembered and what the things I had forgotten about. Reading it now at this stage of my life some things struck me:
-There is almost no discussion about Scout and Jem's mother. Like almost nothing. Why? I don't think it even talks about when or how she passed away. I don't know why but I thought it was very interesting. It kinda kept hounding me.
-I don't quite understand the point of Dill.
-Some of my favorite moments were when the kids saw Atticus (although, why did they always call him Atticus?) as not just their dad. Specifically when he shoots the rabid dog and they are shocked at what a good shot he was. Those moments have struck me with my own parents and seeing them as the people they are and not always as just my mom and dad.
-It reminded me that as a parent (which I never ever considered when previously reading it) that your kids are always watching and some times trying to protect you. I remember feeling that way and sometimes trying to protect my parents. I also admired how Atticus handled almost every situation with his kids with patience and always took the time to explain to them in real terms what was happening and his opinion about it. I loved that.
-I loved the way the trial played out. I even knew what was going to happen (for the most part) and I was still so impressed with how it was all told.
-I still don't totally understand the Radley's and why they were as shut up and private as they were. I mean, why did Nathan fill in the tree hole with cement? But it was the sweetest thing that even for a short time they did have that interaction together and that set the stage for the rest of the story.
-Finally, why did Atticus want Jem to take the blame in the end? I mean I kinda get it but still, why?
Most, or some of these things might not make sense if you haven't recently read To Kill a Mockingbird. And I don't think anything is spoiled if you haven't read it. It might be a really lame post, but I wanted to share my thoughts about reading it. Maybe I should join a book club or something.
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is my #1 book. I love it.
Dill was based on Truman Capote who was a friend of Harper Lee's growing up.
Atticus wanted Jem to take the blame because he didn't want Boo to face a criminal trial. Boo was too fragile, and he didn't want him to have to face all the publicity that would come with it. And Jem wouldn't have been found guilty of anything besides self defense, anyway.
Anyway, I love this book. Even the movie is great, which rarely happens.
Oh, I didn't know that about Dill. Very interesting. It makes me wonder if he really did run away and hide under her bed. That is so cool.
Okay, and I get "why" Atticus didn't want Boo to be prosecuted, that is the whole point in the name of the book right?
But, why wasn't Atticus okay with Heck Tate's version of what happened and let a bad guy just be dead. That would be a reasonable end right? I don't know if that makes sense but that is what I kept thinking while Atticus was arguing with Heck. Bob Ewell was a bad guy and now he is dead, enough for me. No one needs to take the blame, not Boo but especially not Jem. I'm glad Heck got his way.
I think that the Radley's are symbolic of our tendency to fear/hate things we don't understand, which is obviously one of the main themes of the book. My dad always told me that I was having a "Boo Radley" moment when I was making a big deal of nothing.
Post a Comment