Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Baby Update

Since I just posted about baby Olive I thought I would post "about" Milo. As of Sunday I am officially 7 months pregnant. I will say that it has gone by really fast. In so many ways this has been an easy pregnancy and I feel so blessed to have had it this easy. Don't get me wrong, I have had my issues. It just seems that the hardest things about my pregnancy with Olive haven't been an issue this time around (at least so far).
Some days I feel really good, and some days I feel really pregnant. I'm getting frustrated about not being able to bend over. It is getting really hard to put Olive in her car seat. I am already sick of my maternity clothes. I get extremely grumpy if I push myself too far or go too long without eating. My patience is short and I have been a little irrational about some things. Other than that I think I am doing pretty good.
I thought that I started looking much more pregnant so much earlier this time but now I think I look about the same at 7 months as I was with Olive. Judge for yourself.

When I got pregnant this time I knew that I wanted to do a natural delivery. When I told Scott he was, well, confused I think. I mean, it was a very smooth and good birth with Olive. I think he felt like "Why are we changing this now? We already know what to expect." Which I agree with. It was a good experience with Olive. I think both Scott and I look back on it with warm feelings and it brings back lots of happy memories. We were on cloud nine for 3 days. Thus, he was not really thrilled about changing everything. I think in some ways he feels like it is complicating everything. I understand. I do.
The thing is.... I started thinking. Not everything was great about my delivery with Olive. Nothing went wrong and there were no problems. But I felt like crap afterwards. I looked like a mess while everyone was visiting us. I felt kinda incompacitated because of the epidural after delivering rather than empowered and strong. I couldn't move for hours even though my baby was already here. I didn't like that.
I also started thinking, the first time I felt like I couldn't deliver without help. It got me wondering why did I think I couldn't. Was I told I couldn't? My doctor for sure encouraged not "putting myself through that" and natural delivery was only for bragging rights.

What I decided was that I can do this naturally. Why couldn't I? My body is strong and capable. My muscles and organs work well. I know that Heavenly Father created my body to bare children and so it will work as it was designed to. Women have been doing this for centuries. I know I have the same innate capacity to give birth as they did. I trust that my body has an innate understanding of birthing and that my body and baby will know what to do.

As I have looked into it, I think we are going to follow some of the Hypnobirthing techniques. I don't necessarliy agree or believe in everything this method promotes but there are a few vital things that I do support. 1) It is a family experience. In other methods the father is the coach and I know Scott isn't comfortable with that. But here he is just my partner, helping me and creating this experience together. 2) It is not an alternative but a collaboration of lots of other theories and methods, including medical practices. 3) I think this is most important because they really supports that birth is a natural, normal part of the human experience and there is no reason to let fear hold you back. That being said, I will say that I am maybe nervous about this but not afraid.
Now just three more months left! (which kinda feels like an eternity)

4 comments:

krissy o said...

You can totally do this, Maren. I just know it!

Kelly said...

You can do it! Granted I didn't have a choice when I went natural.. the minute Liam was born it was the most amazing wave of no pain. I mean here I was in agony and then BAM! Nothing AND a cute baby to hold. Granted the longest labor I have had I only "labored" an hour ha! It is good you are researching it so you have some coping skills. It is always good to have lots in your arsenal. I don't know what I would have done without the finish nurse that just happened to be working the night Liam was born. Chris mainly looked like he was watching a car wreck in slow motion, poor guy, I was pretty embarrassing ha! But I think that was because I wasn't prepared and felt like the rug had been pulled out from under me, you will be mentally and emotionally prepared = much better!

Sheena said...

Yeah, I've been thinking about this too and definitely want to go the natural route as well, if possible. Mostly because a.) I really, really, REALLy don't want a needle in my spine b.) I've had catheters before and I hate them and c.) I've heard too many stories about epidurals not working right (only working on one side, being so strong that you couldn't even tell when to push, or if you were even pushing at all, etc.) and about people being given them at the wrong times (as in being dilated to like a nine and then having the epidural kick in for the afterbirth only). My mom didn't have one with the the first two kids and did with the last and she definitely liked it better without.

But if my labor is progressing REALLY slowly and I'm REALLY tired I might get one so that I can get some rest and then actually have energy to push when the time comes, I have to be chemically induced, or have to have a c-section because of something like pre-eclampsia or a breached baby. A woman in my ward's daughter (random connection, I know) had a c-section under general anesthesia and that just sounds like a total nightmare to me. Not being concious when your baby is born? That's like the stuff of horror movies!

Here's to hoping that you get your all natural birth and that it's awesome!

micemilk said...

You can do it! I'm excited to hear the birth story now :)

I think the second time is supposed to be easier and faster, so it shouldn't be too bad, no?

 
UA-18211205-1