Monday, March 21, 2011

Olive (actually I) Loves her Barbie house

We recently inherited this amazing barbie house from Scott's sister. This house is so awesome. I can't even explain how great it is. Olive absolutely loves it. I knew she liked her barbies before and liked playing with them, but having a place to play and act things out with them has opened up a whole new world of barbie playing for Olive. If I am looking for her it seems that she is usually in there playing with her barbie house. She loves it, and with good reason!
One of the coolest things about this barbie house is that it was all costume made by my sister-in-law's mother-in-law in the 70's when her girls were little. She did a fantastic job and her workmanship has stood the test of time. She really paid attention to detail and added some really cute touches to it. Neither of her girls had any girls of their own so we are lucky enough to get it.

The house is kinda large but, that is perfect for barbie. It fit perfectly in their room. If it had been even 6 inches longer it wouldn't have fit. Because it was from the 70's it needed a little face lift so with (a lot of) Scott's help we repainted the exterior and furniture. Then I set to work on the rooms. Here is what it turned out like. I am just in love with it!

 
All the colors that we chose are in the scheme as their bedroom and I used the left over fabric from some things I made for their room so they match their actual bedspreads.  I made some beds and bed spreads for the barbies.  My plan is to build them a bunk bed frame. 

 This is the living room. I made cushions and pillows for all the chairs as well as a matching rug and curtains. Do you see the fireplace? Isn't it awesome? And what about those stairs on the staircase?

This is a horrible picture but with my big belly I had a hard time on the ground. Anyway, here is the kitchen. It is has a stove, sink and counter, and a fridge (that I need to reattach the door to)
 This is the other bedroom. I made a full size bed (that also needs a frame).  It has a chest of drawers and a little tv. Olive really likes the closet. Finally, do you see that baby craddle? I love it!
 I had to include this picture because this is how I found the bathroom when I went in to take pictures of the house. Isn't that adorable? I don't know why but I really love the bathroom. I think it is because it has all these cute details (like the toilet and tub) but you wouldn't think to put it in a barbie house. Do most barbie houses have an actual bathroom? I just think it is so clever.
The house also has a dining room with a table, chairs, and high chair.

 
I know I have said this house is awesome, but I seriously love it. I would have killed (dead serious) for a barbie house like this when I was growing up. That is probably why I wanted Olive to have it so badly.  Let's see, that is a barbie car and house that Olive has before she is three which is the age I got my first barbie. I guess I can't help it! With all the work and sewing it's taken, I am very happy that she loves it so much too!

4 comments:

Sheena said...

Fun! My Grandpa made me an amazing Barbie House when I was little and I'm excited that we're having a girl so that she can play with it too. Hopefully she loves Barbies!

krissy o said...

I adore that Barbie house! What a great landscape for Olive's active imagination!

Mary said...

How perfect for you little Barbie loving girl!

Qwendykay said...

I am green with envy! I think I need the dimensions on this so I can make a Barbie house for little AK. That is awesome!

 
UA-18211205-1