Friday, December 17, 2010

We are SO decorated for Christmas

Christmas is in full swing around here. I started thinking about our decorations and realized that the majority of our decorations were homemade either by me or by someone else which we then inherited.

Here is our tree. It is the tree we bought when we were first married so it is a bit sad. I think this year we are going to buy a new one, hopefully we can find a good sale after Christmas.

Last year it was a constant battle with Olive to get her to leave our tree decorations alone. As I thought more about it I figured this is probably going to be a problem for quite a while since she is only our first child. So I decided to make our decorations. I am pretty happy with them, mostly because I don't worry about them at all. I like that Olive can take them off the tree and examine them and it's no sweat. Also, Scott's family had homemade ornaments similar to these ones while he was growing up and they have so many memories attached to them. But, I kinda got the scale wrong for our tiny tree. Maybe next year they wont seem so huge on a normal sized tree.

These stars turned out to be much more difficult than I had anticipated. So I ended up just sewing them on the exterior and I really like how they look.

Since our homemade decorations turned out so big we didn't have as much room for our other decorations. I improvised and hung them in front of our window.

I saw this gift box garland in a Pottery Barn magazine a while ago. I thought it looked so festive and Christmas-y. But it also seemed like an inexpensive way to decorate. So I thought I would give it a try. I think it would look really great on an awesome staircase or something, but this kinda works (for now).

I chose silver with different red/white ribbon. I just used whatever I had. That set me on a silver binge so almost all my decorations are silver. I have to laugh at myself because I must like it more than I knew (guess what my wedding colors were (but minus the red and add in hydrangea blue)).

Here is our fireplace. Remember those Pottery Barn copied stockings? I am kinda proud because they passed as really PB ones when my friend came over. Although, I better get busy because I didn't plan ahead at all and only made three.

So that ends my homemade decorations, but I think I like these next ones even more. My great aunt loved to make and decorate Christmas villages. She had a huge village that took up multiple rooms in her house. When she passed away we inherited part of it.

Ours are not all homemade but I really love the ones she did paint. My mom's whole village is this cute. Isn't it awesome?

Finally, Scott's grandma made everyone a cute nativity scene. Unfortunately she passed before ours was finished. We are missing a Mary and Jesus, which are kinda important players. My plan is to finish them by next year.

Arent' they so cute? I love them!

So, as you can see we are very ready for Christmas. Good thing it is only a week away!

3 comments:

Leslee said...

I've loved reading your blog! And I also love your Christmas decorations. Lend me some of your decorating talent when you come over next time will you? I'm glad that you shared Milo's name! I think Milo and Olive are the perfect combination.

krissy o said...

I love love love that homemade nativity - such detail! You can never go wrong with grandma-made items, right?

Mary said...

I like the big ornaments on your tree. It totally works.

And you are so crafty!

 
UA-18211205-1