Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Big Surprise

So, we gave my parents some carpet (long story but it has to do with our flood). They got inspired to do some redecorating and asked us if we could help. They said they wanted our "expertise" but I am guessing they really wanted the free labor. New carpet turned into new flooring which turned into new paint which turned into new everything.
Truthfully we were happy to help because after 10 years and 3 teenage boys the house was in need of some attention. I got very excited about the updating and talked my brothers into chipping in to have the front room completely redecorated as a surprised to my parents. They were going out of town for the weekend so we rushed to get everything done and ready before they got back. We totally felt like we were on an HGTV show waiting to reveal our redecorated room.
Unfortunately I forgot to take before pictures. But here is the finished product.

Scott and my brother did the new floor. They worked so hard and it looks sosososo great. I decided to do matching slipcovers to make the furniture match.

This stairway was the most difficult thing to paint. The walls are 16 ft and the ceiling was a pain. Thankfully Scott did most of that painting.

Scott added some great fluted wood trim around the windows to give them some great detail. (Mary-I totally copied your curtains. They really inspired me for this room!)

We have plans to do a big square wood frame on this empty wall but we ran out of time. I think that is going to be the real finishing touch and add a lot of class too.

I repainted these bookshelves white and bought some new, inexpensive accessories to fill them.

We also painted the accent color around the fireplace added trim and painted the mantel black in their family room. Here you can kinda see the new carpet that is also on the stairs. Overall I think it all looks great!

My parents were very surprise and gratetful. They had no idea. We were so happy to put this all together and have the room finished so they didn't have anything else to worry about. That is the last remodeling I plan to do in awhile in case you guys are extremely bored of looking at room after room.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Ha! Those curtains are the exact curtains that I'm putting in our home office. Gotta love Target.

It looks amazing. I loooooooooove it. The floors are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Maren! It looks so good. I am excited to see it all completed in real life. You did an amazing job!

Robyn said...

How kind of you to do this for your parents!! I love all of it. Just so you know, I've loved all the home pictures you've shared. You guys did a great job!

EriKaren said...

that looks so great! you guys are sooo awesome =]

joana said...

i love doing stuff like that. how fun! it looks amazing! i love the contemporary black and white look. nice job!

 
UA-18211205-1