Friday, February 12, 2010

One of my Favorite Rooms

I LOVE our new kitchen. This was the room that had the biggest transformation and a huge pay off but was relatively simple to change (minus the wallpaper removal which has already been dicussed).

Here is how we saw the kitchen when we were thinking(for 2 seconds) about buying this house. It was updated with new appliances, cabinets, wallpaper, and counter tops in the 70's and remained very unchanged. As one of our neighbors said "She had it cherried out". In the era, this was a very stylish kitchen. A few lovely highlights are the faux marble counters and the almond appliances. Why do they even make almond color anything?

As you can see we changed almost everything in this kitchen. I am absolutely ecstatic about how it all turned out.

This is my favorite view of my kitchen because you can look through the dining room and into the front room. (You can see my Valentine's decorations hanging in the dining room). And, yes, our kitchen design was very inspired from the amazing kitchen on Dexter.

Although very out-dated everything was in really great condition. We kept the cabinets and repainted them white which I love. We added new hard ware, new lights, refinished the countertops, and put in our fabulous new backslpash (thanks to one handy husband and some cool tile products) and presto!

Here is the view looking in from the dining room. We added this inexpensive move-able island and it completely changes the functionality of the room. We can now feed Olive at the little bar area and have tons of cooking prep space. This was probably the best investment because of its daily use.

This is basically the same view as the "before" picture. Quite the difference right? I would tell you about all the amazing deals that we got on our various appliances, but I won't bore you with those details.

I wanted to include a close up of the backsplash. The glass tile looks so stunning next to the black countertops and gray walls. To add a "pop of color" as the design show say, we chose red accents in the rug, dishtowels, and obviously KitchenAid.

The previous owner used this spot as an eat in area with a table. I really wanted to be able to have a "family desk" area with computer and this space worked perfectly. Also notice the wall of pantry space, including a broom closet and a recipe book file storage compartment type area. Are you in love yet? I sure am!

8 comments:

Karen said...

O.M.G.

I have kitchen envy...I love your kitchen and your entire house so far =]

Carmen said...

Amazing job, love the backsplash.

Qwendykay said...

Again.. I'm here via Mary's Pemberley, just to go ga ga over your house. LOVE this kitchen. We are currently planning a kitchen re-vamp, and I love it all. I just printed out pics of it all to hand to the architect. That is exactly what I want in an island.

Mary said...

Shut Up!! I LOVE that backsplash. I have a huge crush on glass mosaic tile.

The cabinets look so great painted white! And I love that island.

Beautiful!

Patty Girl said...

Thanks for all the love. We worked really hard and it feels so great to hear that people liked how it turned out.

I am so flattered Qwendykay! I can't wait to see how your kitchen turns out. Thanks for visiting my blog!

Crawford Family said...

Maren this kitchen is amazing! You guys have such amazing taste... someday when we buy a house will you guys come overhaul it for us? Did you guys do all the work yourselves? So awesome! And you guys did it so fast!

joana said...

wow, i'm totally impressed with your skills girl! LOVE it!

Wanderingfamilies said...

I am in love with your kitchen...how do you do it all?!

 
UA-18211205-1