Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Binks


At our house we call the pacifier the binks. We have lots of nicknames for things around here. We call bottles the botts, Olive is baby girl, Renegade (our cat) is Kitty (even though there is nothing very kitten-ish about him anymore, he probably weighs 8 or 9 pounds more than Olive.) We call diapers the diaps, and poopy diapers are the stinks.


Back to the point of this post. I currently have a love/hate relationship with the binks. On the one hand I love the binks because Olive loves the binks. She is not really attached to it, but it does sooth and comfort her when we give it to her. The great part is that she is not very particular about which binks she gets, she will suck on anything. Once in her mouth, she will fall asleep in seconds. And the binks is a lifesaver at keeping her occupied if it is feeding time and we can't quite get her food.
Now the down side. Although Olive is good at sucking on a bink, she is horrible at keeping it in her mouth for more than 10 seconds. She apparently is an overly active sucker. This is especially problematic when she wakes up in the night. I will put the binks in her mouth, and it envietably falls out once she is asleep. She wakes up every time it comes out. Or if she is very tired she forgets that the binks is already in her mouth and starts crying. It is quite frustrating. In the delusions of the night I imagine the invention of a strap for the binks that will wrap around her head to prevent it from falling out. I am positive it is unsafe in reality. So, I try to not use this great tool unless nothing else will work. I am hoping though, that as she grows up she will be more skilled at keeping that binks in. Fortunately Olive has been such a great sleeper that we rarely have to put her back to sleep in the middle of the night anymore. She goes 7 hours straight! I guess this post isn't very relavent anymore.

Here is a picture I find hilarious. It says to me "Mom, enough pictures already!" It does showcase her "pensive eyebrows" look that is a classic Olive expression.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Dont forget... we also call the Micro-Wave, The cro-box. The Tv , the Teev. The The litter box.. lit, and my personal favorite, the Toilet....the Toy

Rachel said...

Great nicknames! We also call diapers "the diap!" (always with an exclamation point), and wet daipers are "solid diaps!" We like to shorten words to one syllable and add "ski" to the end of it. e.g., bananas = nanskis

Seth and Kara Farnsworth said...

I have fantasized many a times about taping the binky in. Certainly if it were medical tape it would be safe :)

Wanderingfamilies said...

I WISH baby Ansley would take a binks!! She won't take anything, except sometimes a pinky finger upside down! Oh well!

 
UA-18211205-1