We had a pretty early morning to take the metro over to the St Lazzare train station because that was where we could take the high speed train out to the French country side. We were going to a city called Giverny so that we could visit Clause Monet's house. This was one thing that I was SO excited about seeing and it definitely did not disappoint. I would do this again in a heartbeat. My mom loved it too. A life long dream fulfilled!
My selfie on the train ride. One of Scott and my favorite things from our other Europe trip was all the train rides. They are relaxing and fun and magical. I was kinda sad that we weren't getting any real train rides on this trip since we were just staying in Paris. But we kinda made up for it with this express train to Giverny. You kinda got the feel for it. It was a little too short at just 45 minutes because right when I was getting tired and dosing off we were already there!
We stopped at the boulangerie to get some pan au chocolate for breakfast to eat on the train. I caught mom right in the middle of a bite!
Here is mom in front of one of the trains at the station. When they say high speed they really mean it and those trains fly through some stations. It's kinda crazy. Once off the train there are buses at the station waiting to take you to the house. It was like the easiest thing ever. So after a ten minute bus ride through the country side you get out at the tiny town of Giverny and then take a short walk over to the most charming house you have ever seen. It was a little bit chilly this day but it wasn't too bad and we had the best time!
This adorable, cuter-than-belief house is Monet's house. I am just in love with it. It could not have been more charming. The painting studio was filled floor to ceiling with paintings and with huge windows let in so much light. The all blue and white kitchen had the most amazing copper collection. It was all so lovely but they do not let you take any photos inside. I know some people have snuck some photos but we felt like they were watching pretty closely so we weren't brave enough. I just loved it all so much.
This was the view of the garden's from Monet's bedroom window. Stunning right?
I absolutely loved the pink stucco house with bright green shutters and porch. If I lived in the French countryside I would definitely make my house pink!
I gushed over the house but the gardens are almost indescribable. They are so massive and luscious and utterly amazing.
I really liked this close up with the cute house in the background.
This is me in front of the window that was Monet's first studio (he eventually moved to a much larger one when he was making his massive water lilies). The window above the studio was his bedroom. I just love everything about it.
After we wandered through the gardens you go through an underground tunnel to get to the Japanese water garden that Monet created and painted many, many, many times. It was a really surreal feeling being in this place that I have seen so, so many paintings of and studied in art classes and always loved. And here I was standing right in it. It looked just like you would imagine it would. It was gorgeous and peaceful and beautiful.
I saw a couple kissing with the boat and the arches and I had to get a picture.
The bridge!
After we visited Monet's house and garden we walked around the ultra-charming village of Giverny where his house is. We went into this fabulous antique shop run by the sweetest little French man. He was so kind to us and his English was adorable. We both wanted everything it that store but couldn't really afford anything. 400 euros for an old perfume jar? Oh that's a bit out of my price range. I did get an old style photo album and my mom found a water color painting. Then we went down to the hotel/ restaurant where a lot of artists had stayed while studying and visiting Monet. The food was amazing! And we of course got creme brûlée for dessert once again.
We took lots of pictures as we wandered around the village because it was just so picturesque.
I really loved these very medieval looking houses.
As we walked around the village we made our way to the little village church where Monet and his family are buried in the cemetery.
I just loved that his grave was covered in all the amazing flowers just like his garden.
Of course we had to go into the church. I am so glad we did. There is something amazing about the grand, massive churches we had seen. But this quaint, quiet church was so special. I could easily imagine people coming here for hundreds of years to worship. It was so adorable.
I am so glad that we had so much time on this trip that we could go to Giverny. It was definitely a high light for me!

















No comments:
Post a Comment