Sunday, May 18, 2014

Paris Day 6: Musee de l'Orangerie, Jardin Tuilieries, Coco Chanel, and the Eiffel Tower

We started this beautiful day by walking through the Tuilieries garden. See the Louvre in the background past the fountain? 

It really is such a beautiful, lovely garden. 

Mom and I were both so excited to see the l'Orangerie which is at the end of the Tuilieries before Place de Concord.  Some thing about getting to see Monet's Water Lilies that he specifically designed and created this space for that is pretty magical. It lived up to my expectations. There was also a big gallery downstairs that shows the progression of Impressionist into Post Impressionist and then into Modern showing how the breakdown of light fed the breakdown of form. 
There were supposed to be no pictures inside and they had guards in the Water Lilies gallery but I snapped this one downstairs in front of the other gallery. 


After we ate lunch and walked around the Tuilieries more we went over to Coco Chanel's flagship store and her apartment. We felt a little out of place but they were super nice to us. 
After we made our purchases, I bought Chanel perfume, they let us go see her famous mirrored stairs that used to lead up to her apartment. It was pretty cool. 

Here we are with our Chanel purchases outside the store. 
We were probably a little bit ghetto at this store because everyone else that came here got picked up by private drivers and we took the metro over to the Eiffel Tower after this, but that is just how we roll!


This is Jericca and me in line. Since the line was so long last time we were pretty happy when we got there. We still had to wait an hour but that is so much better than 4! 
See, it was long but not too bad. 
We went to the top first and then went to the other levels. It was amazing up there!



This is the Champs de Mars, I think, anyway it is the park that is below the Tower. 

Mom and me up at the top. We were loving the views. 

This is looking south across the Seine. 

This was a plaque that I thought was cool but there is no way to read it because it is in French.

I liked how tall the Tower was even while we were on it!

After going to the top we rode down to the first level. It was cool how much you could see from this height. Can you see the Invalides with the gold dome?

Jer was nervous about riding the elevator and going to the top. At first she didn't think she was going to go up at all. But she did and I think she is so happy that she got to see it all. A nice person saw us all taking selfies of ourselves and offered to take a group picture for us. 

I made mom and Jer lean over so I could get the scenery but I don't think they liked doing that very much. 


These are the cool big wheels that carry the elevators up and down. 



I really liked the bright yellow staircases too. 

Nord...I don't know why I like this picture so much but I love it. Our plan was to go up in the late afternoon evening and wait for it to get dark. We went up at 5 pm but we realized once we were up there that is didn't get dark until like 8:30 or something so by the time it was 7 we weren't really feeling like just waiting up there for an hour and half with nothing to do and nothing to eat and we were very hungry. So we went down and found a cute bistro on Trocodaro with a view of the Tower. Then after we were done eating we went back over to see it all lit up. 




It was almost 9 and we knew that the Tower sparkles for 5 minutes every hour so we waited around to see it sparkle. We sat on the sides and watched the people for a few minutes and then everyone around started cheering because it started to sparkle. We all jumped up yelling with excitement. I was seriously so excited, as you can tell from the pictures! It was so worth it to see it at night and definitely worth seeing it sparkle. There is something very magical about that Tower.



Sparkles with the light. What a great way to end our night. 


No comments:

 
UA-18211205-1