We found this painting worthy scene in Montmarte on our way to Scare Cour.
See me there on the steps? It is just an interesting and beautiful church and it has amazing views since it is up on the hill. By the way the weather was so perfect this day!
We sat inside for quite awhile resting but also enjoying the gorgeous church. It is hard to beat Notre Dame but Sacre Cour sure gives it a run for it's money.
We took the scenic stairs down and got to see it from lots of different angles and I loved all of them so I took lots of pictures.
Mom and Jer on the stairs.
These are the stairs that we had to climb to get up to it. Mom took the funicular which you can see the tracks next to the stairs.
After we walked down and found this awesome chocolate shop that had all these different flavors caramels. I ate these for days. Yum! We also walked through the fabric district a little bit but we were already pretty tired.
After lunch we rode the metro over to Pere Lachiase Cemetery which is old and goes on forever. I love how they have mausoleums, basically little cathedrals they are so big, around their tombs. It is so magical and feels ancient.
In the newer part of the cemetery it is more organized and laid out in a grid but I love the really old part that all the paths wander and all the graves seem to be in a jumble.
It is hard to capture how there are just grave upon grave that just keep going for as far as you can see.
We were sure to find Jim Morrison's grave which Scott and I couldn't find last time. I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed by it.
Mom and me by Jim Morrison's grave.
This one might have been my favorite. This is Victor Noir and he (or whomever sculpted his statue on top of his grave) made him very well endowed. As you can see it is all worn away in a certain area because people try and get good fertility from rubbing it, according to legend. Jericca really didn't want to touch it but I made her. I think it is so funny.
Jer and me by a cool mausoleum.
We sat down for a little rest in front of Oscar Wilde's really beautiful grave and read a little bit about him.
It was getting to late afternoon and the sun was so pretty behind the mausoleums. I just love this cemetery. I had been there before and I loved it every bit as much this time.
We had some time to kill before our dinner reservations so we stopped at Place de Concord which is where all the victims of the Terror met the guillotine. Now it is just a very, very busy intersection between the Tuilieries/ Louvre and the Champs Elysees. But they have this obelisk given to them by Egypt which is actually the oldest thing in Paris. Also, the Embassy is on the Place which is cool.
In front of one of the "Fountains of the Seas"
I'm sorry, I really love sun flares.
My selfie trying to get the fountain and the obelisk from the Place in one picture.
We were super tired by this point and the restaurant we needed to be at was at the other end of the Champs Elysees so we hired a bike taxi to just drive us down there. I am so glad we did. We got to see lots of stuff on the Champs without having to walk!
This is the restaurant that Kelly and Chris recommended to us. It only has one thing on the menu which is steak and frites. Kelly and Chris take all their friends here and it is apparently where a lot of locals go. You have to wait in line and they open the doors to everyone at once, seat you all at the same time and bring all of you food out at the same time. We got there kinda early so we were first in line. See mom and Jer over there?
The food did not disappoint! Once you finish your first serving they bring you more. Oh the garlic butter sauce was SO good.
Even though we were so stuffed from gorging on the steak and frites we had been in Paris for 5 days and had yet to have some creme brulee so we decided that we must! It was so delicious!
On our way back to the metro to go home we happened to turn the corner and see the tower. It just never got old seeing it and every time we would spot it we would take lots of pictures. It was a really gorgeous and lovely day.



























No comments:
Post a Comment