Friday, March 15, 2013

Planning Commission

I blog stalk someone who writes about this project she is doing called Project Yes. Basically it involves trying to say yes and be open to opportunities that come to you. It is so easy to say no. I think everyone has a lot on their plate and we all feel like we are juggling, just trying to keep one ball in the air at a time. But it has been really cool to see what saying yes to opportunities has opened to her. So, that is the basis of this post. Before Christmas I got and email from someone in the Murray City Economic office. In the email they offered me a position that would be opening on the Murray City Planning and Zoning Commission. They said the vacancy would be taking place in mid-January. Since it was December and we were busy with holiday things I totally forgot about it and never wrote them back. But after the dust settled in January I started thinking about this position more. I had been offered it before, about a year ago and declined it. This time around something felt different. Never mind the fact that I know absolutely nothing about anything on this commission. So I wrote them back and said if the position was still open I would be interested. Why not? When else would this opportunity arise? I should be more willing to say yes and jump in to new things.

So far I have been to two meetings and it has proven to be super interesting. There is so much that goes on around me to make a city run and I was completely oblivious to it all. I am by far the youngest one on the commission. Currently there are 3 women and 4 men serving. It is a 3 year term and you can serve up to 3 terms. We have already heard some really interesting proposals. One cool thing about the commission is that they are the first to hear/ approve most of the things that are happening in the city. But they aren't necessarily the final decision, that is for the City Council. In that way I like that it isn't an elected position or too political. It has turned out to be such a cool experience and it is just beginning. I never say myself in the world of city government or anything to do with planning and zoning of a city. Remember how a few months ago I was posting about feeling kinda lost? Nothing drastic but just sometimes exhausted.  I think it is really easy to lose yourself in motherhood. I think that this phase of life is especially hard because it is so constant and demanding, rewarding but demanding. I felt like I wanted something for myself, to push myself and be a grown up. In lots of ways, I feel like this is an answer to my hearts desire. I wanted something that was outside the house and kids, but didn't rule your commitments like a job. Something that was just adult and interesting and fulfilling. I'm really glad I said yes and hopefully it will be a really good experience. You may call me Commissioner Maren.

1 comment:

Qwendykay said...

Hooray!!! I am so proud of you. Saying Yes has been incredibly beneficial for me. I have loved my Yes Project!

 
UA-18211205-1