Friday, May 28, 2010

So Sad

This has been a crazy, stressful, exciting, heartbreaking, fun, whirlwind of a month. And this is why:

For those of you who don't know, poor little Olive broke her leg! We were having a lovely time at the park and I thought "I will be the cool mom that takes you down the big slide". She has been down the slide before but usually with daddy. Half way down her little leg slipped off my lap and got caught between the slide and my leg. It was horrible.

She was in a hard splint for a week until we saw an pediatric orthopedic who said it need to be in a cast or boot for 5 (yes 5!!) weeks. He talked me into the boot option. All I will say is that boot was the bane of my existence. It was torture.
She hated walking on it and would crawl most places or sit crying and frustrated. That horrible boot would just randomly fall off and always in the worst places like the grocery store where it was impossible to put it back on.
The doc said it was important that she sleep with it on so if she stood up at night she wouldn't tweak her weak leg. I tried a million different ways to keep her from taking the boot off and not one of them worked. If we did manage keep her boot on at night she could not sleep and woke up a million times until I finally went in and took it off so we could all get some sleep.

We called her peg-leg pirate because of how she had to walk. The boot was too long, and usually I couldn't get it on perfectly so she would have to swing her leg really wide to get it around.

I had to explain a to so many strangers how I broke her leg (which I found out that this is a rather common injury for toddlers, so common in fact that it is called a Toddler's Fracture because they have a weak spot in their shin)

Finally I called and demanded that we get a real cast. I didn't care if I had to sponge bathe her and cancel swim lessons, that boot was going to kill me. So then we got this:

And thankfully our life has gone back to normal.

It is kinda adorable to watch Olive walk on it because she goes around on her tippy-toes (which she already did but a cast somehow makes it cuter).

This cast doesn't stop her one bit, she is actually sleeping and napping, my arm is not breaking from carrying and almost 2 year old everywhere, we can actually enjoy the sunshine and go outside instead of watch Aladdin for the 80th time. I am not quite sure where May went but I am pretty glad it is over and I am so excited for June!

I just loved this picture. It is so Olive. She picked out her headband, which perfectly matched her cast. She is so proud of her necklace. You can just tell she couldn't be happier to be perched up on that chair like a grown up. Yep, it is perfectly Olive.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Oh gosh, poor Olive! And poor mama! You've had quite a month.

(The purple cast is adorable.)

Anonymous said...

I love her matching headband and cast. It was so good to see you guys the other day. She is so sweet when she walks on her tip toes.

Crawford Family said...

Poor sweet girl! My friend did the whole slide thing also but didn't break the leg just really hurt it. Who knew being cool would turn out so bad. How cute is that purple cast though, so much more practical then a boot!

Stef said...

Oh, that makes me so sad! I'm glad it turned out okay so you could all keep your sanity. Maybe she'll be too young to remember all this.

joana said...

what a nightmare! glad the cast is working out better (plus it's super cute). and how do you get her to keep her headband on?! which is adorable btw. she gets cuter and cuter with every picture:)

Stef said...

Mare, so sorry we missed the get together last night... We had family stuff. Is there a good weekend this month we can go out and eat some Thai food?

Wanderingfamilies said...

Is it awful to say that it is actually adorable?! Well, it is! Glad it hasn't slowed her down...

 
UA-18211205-1