Friday, December 18, 2009

Oh what a hallway!

Let's appreciate my new house again. So, you may think who cares about hallways? Typically I would agree that they are boring and functional. But not mine. My hallway is unique. I'm not exactly sure why I love it so much. It is one of my favorite place in our house. It might be that it is more of a little landing rather than just a dark narrow passage way. Or perhaps it is all the white on the doors and the old door frame detail that I love. Maybe it's all the symmetry.

It's possible that I love our built in drawers and cabinet the most. I have had these at multiple places we have lived and they always say "old house" to me. All these reasons could explain my love, but I haven't mentioned the best part of the hallway. That would have to be the laundry shoot in the bottom drawer that goes straight to the laundry room. Who knew I would love laundry shoots so much?

Our fabulous doors play a big part in the wonderfulness of the hallway. We don't have just any doors. They are heavy and old and have these wonderful original door knobs. And now that we made them stop squeaking we can really enjoy them.

I hope you enjoy my hallway as much as I do.

6 comments:

Lori said...

Maren, I love reading about your new (old) house! I am fascinated by old classic homes. It is so fun to learn about yours!

Crawford Family said...

That is a wicked awesome hallway! A laudry shoot... how cool is that! And the fact that you made them not sqeek is amazing :)

Sheena said...

That hallway was beautiful! I'm excited to see more of your house.

I never used to care much for old houses but after a few trips to New England (John's parent's house is around 100 years old) I've really changed my mind about that. Every single house in John's parents neighborhood is totally different and they're all painted bright colors. Old houses are definitely a lot of work, but have so much more character than any of the new houses that people build. In my opinion (which doesn't mean much since I haven't actually had to take care of an old house) they are totally worth it.

Mary said...

Well, I love your hallway, too. Love the wood floors, the door molding, the built ins, laundry chute, original door knobs... all of it! Love old homes.

Rachel said...

I love it! There are so many fun details in your house. We are a huge fan of built-in drawers as well.

Robyn said...

I want your hallway! Can't wait to see more of your house!!

 
UA-18211205-1