
This is how Olive watches TV. For some reason her best viewing angle is to be standing and only one inch away. She had not watched hardly any TV until we started working on the house and we needed a way to distract her. She instantly fell in love. We only had a small portable TV that we would place on the floor and she got used to watching it from a very close distance. Now, even though we have furniture and space for her to watch more appropriately, she insists on being exceptionally close to the screen.

I recently rented her some Signing Time dvds from the library and they have been a big hit with her. She will bring me the box at least twice a day asking to watch. Its educational right? And at least it is bearable for me to sit through unlike some kids shows. I used to be one of those parents that said I wasn't going to let my child watch any TV during the day. Then reality set in and I realized that if I am in charge of entertaining her ALL day (especially in the winter) and want to accomplish anything else, TV time is very necessary. Don't get me wrong, ideally she only watches a show while I get ready/exercise and another while I am trying to make dinner, although there are those occasional days where the TV doesn't seem to get turned off. It used to make me feel really guilty if she was watching on and off all day especially while we were working on the house and I felt like I was ignoring her, but somethings are easier to feel guilty about than change. I try and remind myself that it is all about balance. How much TV do your kids watch?
6 comments:
I think we are pretty similar. E love's baby signing times and it is educational. We have all four DVD's and he knows almost all of the signs now. I think I am going to continue on with the regular signing time DVD's. It is so hard to find good educational DVD's for toddlers! He has started watching a couple of PBS shows in the morning. I feel guilty too, but it's true that sometimes you just have to keep them busy with something!
I used to say the same things about James. Then I got pregnant and I needed to rest! At three, James watches about 40 mins of tv at night after May has gone to bed. We always sit with him when he's watching something new so we can screen and explain. But I also think it's kind of like sweets - if it's totally outlawed, the kids will become obsessed with it, but if you teach moderation, that will be alright.
I am exactly like you! My kiddos watch it while I get ready in the morning and then a show while I make dinner. Luckily they think PBS and disney are the only stations with kid shows so no yucky violent ones yet! Olive is getting so big!
Though I have no kids of my own, I think moderation is the key. I was raised without TV in my home, so when I went to my friend's houses, I couldn't tear myself away. If she knows she's allotted some time, but there's a limit to how much is available, maybe she'll learn sooner than later. I might just be talking out my ass, though, because it seems much easier said than done. Good luck!
We babysat for some friends once and had to sit through two episodes of Baby Einstein. I almost wanted to poke my eyes out I was so bored/annoyed. Glad to know that there's something out there that's not so obnoxious!
I'm very similar to you. I once heard a doctor who did research on kids and tv talk about this. He said kids don't get anything out of watching tv itself. But what they might get (indirectly) is a parent who is more relaxed and attentive later (because they were able to take a shower and get ready for the day), or a healthier dinner, etc. So it has to be a balance. And I agree - if it's completely banned they will obsess over it.
Post a Comment