Friday, January 8, 2010

I appreciate our fireplace

I think our fireplace is so great. I mean, look at the built in cabinets with glass front doors! I also really love the huge mantel that spans the whole wall. This is the first thing I saw when we walked in and I was already sold on the house.


This close up shows the great cast iron detailing of the original fire box. It is not safe to use the fireplace and we aren't sure if we are going to put the money into making it functional so now it is only decorative. I was convinced that we needed to refinish the tile around it because I felt like it was too puke-y green/brown. But with the floors and everything I like how original it looks now.

These cabinets are so fantastic! I love that I can finally display things and know that they are not in Olive's reach. You may notice that the wood detailing mirrors the doors to the dining room. I know I have said it before, but that detailing and how Craftsman these are makes me so happy.

I also love the symmetry of the two windows, two sconces, and two cabinets. Now I just need the perfect thing to hang right in the middle.


Lately I have been shocked at how grown up and toddler-ish Olive is. I swear she has changed a ton these last 3 months. This binky got put in her toy box and every once in awhile she will come over with it in her mouth. It always makes me laugh because she seems so big, and the binky seems so newborn. Nobody else might think it's funny but I find it hilarious.

3 comments:

Crawford Family said...

awww the binky picture is super cute! I am in love with the square windows. I have always wanted a funky shaped window. The fireplace is fantastic!

joana said...

wow! i can't believe how gorgeous your house is! such warmth and charm. the colors are perfect, i love the dusty blue in the dining room, and you should totally keep the original tiles around the fireplace, it looks great!

Mary said...

I love the built ins! And I have always loved square windows like those.

 
UA-18211205-1