
Here is my piano. I inherited this piano from my great grandmother and it is about the only thing that I know about her. It is beaten up and out of tune and not that spectacular but I can't even tell you how grateful I am to have it. Because of living in apartments or up multiple flights of stairs we were never able to actually have this piano. Now it fits perfectly in our little front room and I couldn't be happier about it.
I had always begged and pleaded with my parents to let me take lessons and they would agree and sign me up. It would only last for about 3 weeks because there is just not much room to improve on a little keyboard. After a few rounds of this I just decide it was too hard without the real thing. Then, when I was in 9th grade, this piano joined our family. I took lessons all through high school and I would drive myself over to my piano teachers house once a week. I was maybe a bit of a difficult student because I refused to cut my nails and only wanted to play "real songs" not scales and technique. I was not great, and still am not. I have always loved music, but there was something so magical about creating music. So many sense are in use for one purpose.
When I was teaching school I so desperately wished that I was better at the piano. It was difficult to practice with such a busy schedule and even though some mornings I would arrive early to try and play, it never was very productive. So I had to rely on the amazing music teacher to play for us twice a week. The rest of the time we could only learn songs that had a cd.
I can't tell you how amazing it was to play Christmas songs this year. Now, I have a VERY long way to go to be like the concert pianists that Scott has for sisters, but I am practicing. I practice every day. Slowly, I am getting better. Even better I think, than when I quit at the end of high school.
I didn't really set any New Year's Resolutions. I kinda feel like if there is something I want to change or a habit I want to develop I should work on it any time. But, I have set the goal that I need to perform the piano pieces I am learning at a real recital. I can play semi-adequately at my house, but I am a nervous wreck in front of people. I figure though, what is the point of practicing if you don't share your hard work?
Last night I went to a relief society activity about a Celestial Univeristy. I am not sure I am going to do the program exactly as they laid it out, but I think I might modify it a little. And guess what, one of their suggested goals in the College of Fine Arts is to take music lessons and perform.
So, here we go. Let's hope there is a fabulous musician inside of me waiting to be born!
2 comments:
That's really awesome. I'm excited for you to meet your goal (and I hope we get to hear you play sometime!)
I support your goal of playing in front of people, and it is a skill you need to develop. I read a quote recently that helped me to understand that just doing it is the greatest benefit. it is the process that strengthens the plasticity of the brain and build the connections. That helped me be less concerned that I have a perfect piece of art to display as to create art...period...
Post a Comment