Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Happy Birthday to us!

On Monday Olive turned one year old! We had a little party for her on Saturday to celebrate.
We had planned a pool party because I thought it would be the easiest way to keep lots of kids entertained with the littlest effort on my part. Because of the August heat I couldn't for see any reasons why a pool party wouldn't be ideal. Naturally, it was wicked cold, raining, and there were amazing thunderstorms the morning of the party. Just our luck!

As you can see we did end up at the pool, although we opted for the indoor one. We didn't have much of a back up plan so swimming was our only option. But this pool turned out to be really cool.

It had a mini lazy river section where a current would move you along. That was Olive's favorite part and she spent the whole time in the water. She is definitely a little fish.


To try and pull some kind of theme I decorated her a fish cake. Kinda cute right?


Here she is with her own cake. She was disappointed when we blew out the candle because she kept trying to grab it. We thought that stripping her down and putting her on the floor was the best way to let her "have at it". That was a big mistake. *warning* some of the following pictures are pretty gross.

Since this was the first time she had ever had chocolate she was a little unsure at first. She was also confused about just what we wanted her to do. (Also, since we put her on the floor there are a lot of people's legs in the pictures. I apologize)


"How do I go about this? Do I pick it up"


"That's not to bad actually. I kinda like it."


"It is very squishy in my hands."


"What is it like to crawl through?"


"Am I doing this right?"


"Oh, I love chocolate! I can't get enough in my mouth!"


"I'm a chocolate MONSTER!"


This is the demolished cake. It was crawled through, sat on, squished, had toes dunked in it, and probably some of it was eaten. I think it served its purpose.


After cake we opened presents. Here she got her very own remote control because the girl loves everything electronic.


More books. Yay! I was so excited about this gift because I have all her other books memorized from reading them everyday. She really needed some new books.


A new baby doll that she loves and gives hugs. It is really adorable.


We gave her a "music table" that has interactive parts that play music or teach something. It turned out to be a big hit, but not just with the one year olds.

There is more to come, I have a few slide shows and some really adorable 1 year old pictures to share but I thought I would save them until the doctor's visit so I have stats to share (if anyone cares). Stay tuned!

7 comments:

Crawford Family said...

oh my goodness it has been a year! She is so rediculously cute!

Pauly said...

That cake is totally cute! I love babies covered in cake- ah too bad it's only a one year old tradition.
Looked like a great party.

Rachel said...

Looks like she had a great day! I wish we could have been there - if only to see that amazing cake demolition firsthand. You'll have to let me know where that indoor pool is!

joana said...

is it just me or is she losing some of her baby fat? say it isn't so! i LOVE chubby babies...mine's in training right now for a full blown chub fest!
i love the cake pics. cute baby girl:)

Katie Kates said...

It was such a good party! Can't even say how much i love that baby (and her parents too). Joana - there are plenty of chubbers still there - thank goodness!!

krissy o said...

I thought that's how everyone ate chocolate cake, no? Soooo cute. Happy Birthday, Big Girl Olive!

Wanderingfamilies said...

Happy Birthday, Olive! You are a big girl now! Great idea with stripping her down for the cake...Ansley was NOT a fan of her cupcake (she still has an aversion for sweet foods, go figure)!

 
UA-18211205-1